We have extensive experience in guiding our clients through the highly regulated and often politically-sensitive real estate sector. Our real estate practice is strategically focused on structuring high-end investments in the real estate sector, keeping in mind the multiple complex regulations governing investment by foreign entities in this fast-growing sector.
Some of our key services include:
- Conducting due diligence to identify and quantify commercial risks associated with real estate transactions.
- Advising on local regulations relating to zoning and land classification and statutory and regulatory approvals required from Central, State, and Local Government departments in connection therewith.
- Advising on optimizing stamp duty, registration fees, and other acquisition/ investment costs.
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and finalizing requisite documentation including sale and lease deeds, leave & license agreements, conveyance documents, development agreements, financing documents, definitive documentation with contractors, engineers, architects, and other service providers, etc.
- Advising on conditions and restrictions under Indian exchange control regulations for equity investment in real estate in India as well as borrowing for real estate development, including remittance and repatriation limitations.
- Advising on setting up of, fundraising by, and investments into, Real Estate Investment Trusts under the regulations framed by the Securities and Exchange Board of India.
- Advising on various policies of the Central and State Governments, including the Special Economic Zones Policy, applicable to real estate transactions.
We have advised various clients, comprising of a mix of high net-worth individuals and global private equity funds, on investments in the real estate sector.
Some examples of work we have undertaken recently include:
- Represented Sanmina, a Fortune 500 company involved in the manufacture of semi-conductor chips, in setting up a Special Economic Zone (SEZ) unit in Tamil Nadu for Electronic Manufacturing Services. We assisted in structuring the investment into the SEZ, negotiations with the Government of Tamil Nadu, and drafting the definitive documentation.
- Represented Quad-C Management Inc. in connection with its acquisition of InterWrap Inc., International Packaging Products Private Limited and Interwrap Polymer Products Private Limited, companies engaged in the manufacturing sector. The scope of our services included comprehensive due diligence on the factories/ industrial estates located across India.
- Represented two reputable private equity investors with conducting a real estate due-diligence in the state of Goa at the site for a proposed craft beer brewing facility.
- Represented Drums Food International Private Limited in its acquisition from the lessee of a factory and land in Goa allotted by the Goa Industrial Development Corporation. The transaction involved conduct of due diligence on the property, extensive liaisoning with the regulator, and drafting the necessary agreements with the lessee and the regulator.