Labour & Employment
India has a highly talented, yet cost-effective work force which gives it an advantage over other economies for international corporations looking to set up manufacturing or development operations in an overseas jurisdiction. However, the said advantage comes with its own challenges such as a complex web of multiple legislations at the state government and central government levels that are applicable to labour employed by an employer in India. We have regularly been advising clients on the various employment and labour law issues.
Our services include conducting extensive audits on the internal policies and labour practices, assist with registrations under applicable labour legislations, and advise on employee terminations, retrenchments, and lay-offs, legality of non-compete, non-solicit clauses, and employee bonds.
Some examples of important work undertaken by us in recent times to our clients include:
- Assisted CIRCOR International in the successful shutdown of one of its factories in the State of Gujarat, India and the consolidation of the entire Indian workforce under one location in the State of Tamil Nadu. We are proud to have managed this entire process along with the top management of our client in such a smooth way as to not have a single labour dispute emanate from it.
- Conducted an extensive audit on the internal policies of one of India’s largest IT companies (listed on Nasdaq and on NSE/BSE), pertaining to its compliance with the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013 and gave our recommendations pertaining to best practices in this regard.
- Regularly draft and review employee handbooks and employment and non-compete agreements, and conduct extensive audit on the internal policies for several companies including CallidusCloud India, Bright Horizons Child Care Services, CIRCOR International, and Udacity India.
- Drafting corporate policies and advising on best practices in relation to dealing with instances of alleged sexual harassment at the workplace.
- Regularly advise and assist our clients from the technology/internet, media, telecom, and other sectors in putting in place an employee stock option plan or a sweat-equity scheme for their employees, provide advice on the same in the context of initial public offerings and mergers and acquisitions.